SVFD welcomes volunteer involvement through Fire Corps, a program that enables community members to offer their time and talent to support firefighters in a non-emergency capacity. Fire Corps volunteers provide a variety of important support services to SVFD such as:
- Installing smoke alarms in homes
- Performing blood pressure checks
- Enhancing fire safety education programs
- Assisting with community events
- Conducting door-to-door welfare checks during extreme weather
- Relieving fire crews watching over downed power lines until utility crews arrive
SVFD Fire Corps Members – January 2016
In return, Fire Corps members gain a greater understanding of the fire and emergency services and become better prepared to handle their own emergencies as well as those of their neighbors. Fire Corps members also act as advocates for the fire and emergency services in the community.
SVFD Fire Corps members meet monthly to plan and train. We are currently seeking additional members with flexible daytime schedules to join our team. Call 892-4192 for more information.
Fire Corps is a locally-driven Citizen Corps program. Citizen Corps is an initiative under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to help coordinate volunteer activities that will make our communities safer, stronger and better prepared to respond to any emergency situation. Visit www.firecorps.org for more information.